Event Phone: 276.236.3500
- Handsaw Skills with Richard Moore
May 26, 2019
10:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Handsaw Skills Instructor: Richard Moore Date: Sunday, May 26 Time: 10am-5pm
Instructor: Richard Moore
Date: Sunday, May 26
Class Fee: $84
Skill: All, Age: 18+
Handsaws their use and abuse
In conjunction with the handsaw sharpening workshop, handsaws their use and abuse is an important part of improving your hand tool skills.
We will talk about how to choose the right saw for the job at hand, how to choose the right saw for your body, how to cut to the line straight and true. We will cut to length and rip to width materials to give you the experience of breaking down stock to rough dimension. From the rough work we will practice cutting to the line at the bench and cut a few joints with backsaws and chisel. We will introduce the use of a bench appliance marking knives and marking gauges.
- Reading suggestions include: Chisel, Mallet, Plane and Saw, by Tony Konovaloff, Spons on Carpentry and Joinery, The Essential Woodworker, by Robert Wearing, Hand Saws Their Use, Care, and Abuse, by Fred T Hodgson. (I can email this one to you you would like, just let me know).
- Choosing the right saw for the job.
- Breaking down stock, following the line, cutting square
- Posture and grip
- Cross cutting
- Bench work
- How to follow two lines
- Again the grip
- A few drills to improve your sawing
Venue: Woodworking Studio